911 - Emergency
Non Emergency - 508-839-5343
Business Line - 508-839-2858
Fax - 508-839-0106
28 Providence Road
Grafton, Massachusetts 01519
Building Partnerships for a Safer Community
News & Updates
KIDNAPPING PHONE SCAM
Over the past week the Grafton Police Department has received complaints regarding a phone extortion scam. In these cases generally, an unknown person(s) will call or text the victim and make claims that a family member is being held captive and will be harmed or held until the victim pays a specific amount of money. The call may or may not come from a blocked number and it is not uncommon for the caller to know basic information about the family member. Fortunately, the family member allegedly being held is located during the course of events and confirmed to not be the victim of a kidnapping.
This is an ongoing phone extortion scam that has been active for several years. Residents are encouraged to educate their families about this scam and advise them to carry out the following should they receive a call as previously described:
- Ask the caller specifics about where the family member is located.
- Have the caller physically describe the family member to see if the caller can provide some level of detail that could help confirm or dispel the claim.
- Ask questions that only the family member could answer, preferably information that is not available on the family member’s social media site (if applicable.)
- Take careful note of the caller’s voice, i.e. male or female, accent if any, background noises, etc.
- After gathering as many details as possible during the call, the resident should attempt to make contact with the person that is allegedly being held captive and confirm their safety.
- If a text is received, the resident should first make contact with the person that is allegedly being held captive to ensure that they are safe and if they are unable to make contact then they should probe the individual texting to provide specifics as mentioned above.
- In all cases note the phone number where the call or text originated and report the incident to the Grafton Police Department at 508-839-5343. Do not delete any information from your phone as it will assist police with their investigation.
On behalf of the Grafton Police Department, I welcome your interest in our department. We are extremely proud of our community and our relatively low overall crime rate. We have nineteen sworn personnel, four civilian dispatchers and a Administrative Assistant. Our philosophy is that preventing crime and being proactive as the key to maintaining a high quality of life in this community. We believe in the Community Oriented Policing approach in dealing with the many problems we face each day. Community Policing is a philosophy of becoming involved with the people we serve and working together as a team to solve the problems that lead to crime. We are a progressive department with the main objective of making the Town of Grafton a place where people would like to locate and bring up their families. We invite you to call and make an appointment to tour our station. We would be pleased to show you around and introduce you and your family to our dedicated officers and our facility.
Chief Normand A. Crepeau Jr.
Traffic / Road Closure Updates
Traffic Detours, Road Closures & Local Traffic Advisories will be posted here - Also check our Facebook & Twitter pages for up to date local information.